LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I am receiving notices from EDD claiming I owe them money dating

Customer Question

I am receiving notices from EDD claiming I owe them money dating back more than 10 years ago. I know their records are incorrect but have been unable correct the error. In the meantime, the bill they send me continues to increase in penalties and interest. Please advise what to do.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

Does this relate to unemployment or disability benefits you received? On what basis do you believe their records are incorrect?

On what basis do they claim you are required to repay the benefits received?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It relates to disability benefits that I received. Initially, I received a noticethat I had exhausted my disability benefits and to attend a meeting to explain why my disability benefits should continue. I have chronic progressive multiple sclerosis and was a clinical psychologist in private practice.
At the meeting, I was told that I had exhausted my EDD benefits and had to apply for SSDI benefits. I did apply for SSDI and began collecting SSDI benefits without any problems.. I never returned to work. I am now 69 years old.

The EDD claims I was informed that I had to return the benefits that I had previously received. (For what reason, I do not know)..
At no time was I ever informed/instructed to repay any EDD benefits.
The EDD issued a bench warrant that I never knew about. It was 12-15 years since all of this happened, yet it was one year ago that I was initially advised of the problem. No one would give me detailed information or arrange a meeting with me. I was shocked and angry. This is an error that keeps escalating.
I am tempted to ignore the notices. I believe the amount they want is about $10,000, with most of it being in penalties, late fees and interest.
If the EDD can substantiate a legal reason to repay my disability benefits, I will do so (without all the penalties & interest). But if they have no tangible evidence/proof that I was overpaid, I want them to stop harassing me.
thank you,
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

This is not a situation I am familiar with unfortunately, so I will open your question to other attorneys who may be able to assist.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome and thank you for your patience.