Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

(v) If you are employee handbook, we clearly stated that if

Customer Question

(v) If you are employee handbook, we clearly stated that if over five days off PTO, we will automatically deduct additional absent days all of the paycheck. This still qualify to be exempt?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

Can you restate your question please? I'm not sure what you are asking?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tina,

here is my rephrased question:

does a company have to offer a sick pay leave, such as five days per year, to an exempt or nonexempt employee? If we don't offer a sick day pay only offer PTO, are we against the law?

Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

An employer is not typically required by law to provide paid sick days to employees regardless of whether they are exempt or non-exempt from overtime pay.

If the employer provides paid sick days, then the employer must normally do so on a non-discriminatory basis.

However, a policy offering paid sick days to non-exempt employees and not exempt employees or vice versa is not typically prohibited as long as it does not discriminate against a class of employees.

Good luck and take care.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and all the best to you.