socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Reason for Termination

Customer Question

i have never gotten a letter stating the reasons for my termination am i supposed to get something stating that?

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. This is the first I've seen of your question. California law does not require that you receive an explanation of the reason for your job termination. You have the right to inspect your personnel file, and receive a copy of your payroll records. But, typically, a personnel file will not show the reason for a terimination. It will only show start and end dates.

If you wish to obtain copies of your records, contact the employer. If it refuses, then contact the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!