Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I have a small online tutoring company in California and I

I have a small online tutoring company in California and I sometimes require tutors to drive to tutoring recruitment fairs at various school districts. Sometimes the drives are long and the tutor's day goes beyond eight hours if you include the driving time. I do compensate them for driving time and mileage according to what estimates, but this is only so that driving to these far away locations does not pose too much of a barrier. Of course, I provide not driver training of any sort, nor do I provide a company vehicle. I understand if I go over the 8 hours per day, I need to pay them overtime. However, do I truly need to count the driving hours as part of there day? Thank you, Patrick
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, you no need to include the driving hours as part of the employees' day, so you are required to pay the employees overtime for the hours that they work in excess of eight hours per day.