socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

i terminated my employment on 7/30/11. my employer refuses

i terminated my employment on 7/30/11. my employer refuses to pay my Q2 bonus because I will not be employed when the bonus is to be paid on August 15th. is that legal in California where I work? Employer headquarters are based in TX.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
An employer's promise of a bonus or other benefit after a specified length of employment does not affect the employer's right to fire an at-will employee. But if the employee is discharged without cause, the employee may recover at least a pro-rata share of the promised bonus or benefit. On the other hand, an employee who voluntarily quit before the bonus calculation date is not entitled to a bonus.

See Schachter v. Citigroup, Inc. (2009) 47 Cal.4th 610.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!