socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Hello-- I am currently in crunch at my job, working 7 days

I am currently in crunch at my job, working 7 days straight, Sunday to Sunday with no day off. We are working 12 hour days Monday-Friday, and 8 hour days Saturday and Sunday. We will be working this schedule for around 50 days straight, with one Sunday off. Is this legal in California?

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
California law provides that every employee is entitled to one day's rest in seven and prohibits employers from requiring employees to work more than six days in seven. Labor Code §§ 551-552]

Days of rest may be accumulated, however, when the nature of the employment reasonably requires that the employee work seven or more consecutive days . . . provided that the employee receives in each calendar month days of rest equivalent to one day's rest a week. Labor Code § 554(a).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!