socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Hi, I have a question on employers legal obligation in disclosure

Customer Question

I have a question on employer's legal obligation in disclosure of terms of conditions of the employee benifits they offer in general, & health care Flexible spending in general.
In my case, my previous employer didn't disclose the terms & condition of "Summary Plan Description" of my section 125 FSA health benefits. As a result of that I have lost money in FSA health benefits account. What are my legal options at this point ?.

If you give me your contact ph#, I can call you to discuss the further details of this situation.

Madhu B
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

The failure to properly disclose benefits of an ERISA-qualified plan in the summary plan discription violates ERISA Section 409, and entitles an injured participant to damages.

Your recourse is to contact the U.S. Department of Labor/EBSA (1.866.444.EBSA (3272)) or hire a private attorney and sue.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!