ANDREA
ANDREA, Attorney
Experience:  JD, LLM (Federal Taxation); Employment Law, Employment disputes
20073497

I interviewed with a new company. HR asked my salary history

I interviewed with a new company. HR asked my salary history and I provided it. The 2nd interview was with someone who held the same title (same team) that I was applying for. This person said he thought I was expensive and showed me that he had a print out of the full conversation I had with HR. I felt that it wasn't right for someone who would have been my peer to see my salary history at that point or ever. What does California labor law say about that?
Submitted: 3 years ago via Nolo Press.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  ANDREA replied 3 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney, I have 25 years experience and would be glad to help

The attorneys on JustAnswer are glad to answer questions and give information, but JustAnswer is not a law firm, so we cannot take on client representation and no attorney-client relationship is formed.

Please keep in mind that the law does not always support our position and although I may not agree with the law, I do not write the law and, therefore, cannot control the outcome, So, please remember that does not lessen the time and effort I devoted to researching your question and providing you with an Answer,

The Answer I am providing is information only and does not constitute the practice of law in jurisdictions where I am not licensed to practice. This is a public forum on the internet, so I caution you not to include any personal identifying information

ANSWER

Neither the Federal, nor California Labor Laws address this issue. However, since you had a second interview, the interviewer had a right to all the information that you had given to the first interviewer so that he could make a determination based on the same information.

What you should be concerned about is the fact that they typed up your first interview. If the interview was recorded without your consent, then that would have been an invasion of your privacy as well as a violation of Federal and State laws.

Please be kind enough to press "ACCEPT", otherwise I do not get paid anything at all

BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are appreciated

ANDREA, Attorney
Experience: JD, LLM (Federal Taxation); Employment Law, Employment disputes