Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

If an employee gets pregnant, and then works lazily as if wants

If an employee gets pregnant, and then works lazily as if wants to be fired, can I cut her work hours back without threat of lawsuit? We have tried talking to her, but she continues the behavior.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

There is no way to eliminate the risk of a lawsuit typically, but you can increase the likelihood of success if you document the incidents involving this employee. It is best to have as much corroborating evidence as possible to prove she is not limited by her condition but taking advantage of the legal protection afforded by her pregnancy.

If she claims her condition is limiting her, then you should normally request a letter from her physician specifically addressing her work-related restrictions.

If you can accommodate any restrictions without incurring extreme cost, then the law would typically require that you provide such accommodations.

Good luck and take care.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.