Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

Hello I am having many issues at work ( a baby store) such

Customer Question

Hello I am having many issues at work ( a baby store) such as paychecks being late, being harrased by the owners ex boyfriend at work while the owner sits back and listens ( not once but twice ), he also sometimes sleeps in the store with hi German Shepard, not getting a lot of my breaks, 2 dogs recently staying in the store , one has bitten a child in the store and tried to bite me, also they pee all over the store and on the products,and now after about 4 monthe of employment it seems they are going to try to have me sign an "at will agreement" and a "non disclosure agreement" so that they can protect themselves - I need some advice on the how to handle NOT signing any documents they try to throw my way adn any other advoce on how tp handle what is going on?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Justanswer.com.

Are you the target of sexual harassment?

Does the employer have at least 15 employees?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No sexual harrasment. There is myself and the owner and then someone who helps ion the back. But lots of headgames and so forth
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
I see.

With regard to the late paychecks, you can file a complaint with the state labor board, which has the authority to investigate the situation and assess penalties against the employer. It is illegal for the employer to retaliate against you for asserting your rights typically.

I would also contact the local animal control offices and report the dangerous dog since you are in fear of being bitten.

Finally, with regard to the documents the employer is requesting you sign, they typically do have the right to require that you sign such agreements as a condition of continuing employment.

Therefore, if you do refuse to sign them, they can legally terminate you typically.

Good luck and take care.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well but being told my postion would be long term doesn't siging an at will agreement negate that? Also, by signing a Non Disclosure this allows them to cover up what they are in the store. This seems like a legal stunt on their end to cover up there issues.
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
If the employer made a statement that your employment was to be "long-term", that would not typically be legally enforceable. You would remain an employee at will normally unless you had a contract for a term of years.

A non-disclosure agreement cannot typically prevent you from asserting rights you would otherwise have under the law since that would violate public policy. Such agreements are normally enforced for the purpose of protecting employer's proprietary infirmation, not for the purpose of facilitating a crime.

All the best to you.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by Justanswer.com. If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.