Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I was terminated at my place of employment two weeks ago.

I was terminated at my place of employment two weeks ago. Today, I found out the details of my termination were disclosed by someone at the company to someone I happen to know. The person who was told is not an employee. Does this violate the law? If so, what actions can be taken?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  nyclawyer replied 3 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification.

Is there a company manual or handbook?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I believe so. However what does that have to do with my situation. The person who I believe was responsible for disclosing private I formation was not my boss or supervisor but was in the Office when my boss delivered the news over the phone. The details of my employment are a private matter in the same way one would not be broadcasting my salary. I have been in management for more than 25 years and never have I ever disclosed the reason someone no longer works for the company. HR directors have always impressed upon managers that employment information is confidential. So my question to you is what are the legal ramifications of telling an outsider the reason the company decided to let me go. What does the law say in CA? I work I. The media and it's a very small community (everyone knows evryone) If over generalized information get out to slot of people it cod permanently destroy my career. Hope this info helps. Thank.

Expert:  nyclawyer replied 3 years ago.
It does help. Has the company takes any action to reprimand or investigate? what outcome are you seeking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, the company does not know about it yet. I was just made aware of the situation at the end of the day Friday. The outcome I want is two-fold. 1-for all discussion of my employment and termination to end. 2-if it is illegal to have disclosed such information; a financial settlement.

Also, there's a pending lump sum severance package this is due to be paid at the end of the month and I will most likely not advise company of what took place until after a get that payment. I signed a release that the money would replace any legal action against the company. However, that release covered things like wrongful discharge, etc.

I don't want to intermingle the two situations. I am not seeking comp for the dismissal, but for the actions that took place afterward.
Expert:  nyclawyer replied 3 years ago.
Have you considered having an employment lawyer reach out to negotiate this outcome?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You've got to be kidding me.

I'm still waiting for an ANSWER to my question.

WHAT DOES THE LAW SAY ABOUT DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION SUCH AS I DESCRIBED? DID THE COMPANY VIOLATE ANY LAWS OR GUIDLINES BY A NOW FORMER CO-WORKER DISCLOSING CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES REGARDING MY DISMISSAL?

Last chance to answer my question.
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

It appears your question was sent to a new category and your previous expert can no longer respond to you.

It is not typically unlawful for employers to disclose details of your employment. However, depending on what details were provided to the third party, you may have an invasion of privacy claim against the employer.

Good luck and take care.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The third party was told the specific reason I was let go . The person who provided the information was not my supervisor, but was in the room when I was let go. He was a co-worker who was there as a facilitator and a witness. The third party recipient of the information is a business associate who has already told another business associate of mine--both individuals are people I work with in a separate business. This was not an instance of a reference check, but pure gossip that could harm this and other business relationships and prospects. I have been a manager for decades and have never disclosed the reason someone was let go...ever. My understanding was that this was confidential and inappropriate to disclose. Am I wrong?
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Disclosing such information does risk liability for any damages sustained by you, but it is not typically illegal per se.

The individual should be warned that they are risking liability based on interference with business relations and other possible theories of law by divulging such information.

Here is a link that discusses the elements of such a claim:

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/i084.htm

All the best to you.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by Justanswer.com. If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.