socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Our company is in the retail business in CA and once or twice

Our company is in the retail business in CA and once or twice a month the General Manager has staff meetings. If the associate is not scheduled to work that day, and comes in for the one hour meeting what are required to pay him/her?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

The exact nature of the business matters. In the "mercantile industry" (clothing, jewelry, handbags, etc.), an employee must be paid for at least one half of a day's pay, but no less than two and no more than four hours. If the employee is full-comission, then pay would have to be at least 1.5 times minimum wage. Title 8 CCR 11070(5)(A).

Hope this helps.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“ToCustomerrdquo;), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are in the optical business; does that make difference?
8 CCR 11070(2)(H), defines "mercantile industry," as "...any industry, business, or establishment operated for the purpose of purchasing, selling, or distributing goods or commodities at wholesale or retail; or for the purpose of renting goods or commodities."

I think that optical sales fits squarely within the merchantile industry definition.

So, my original answer is applicable.

Hope this helps.