socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

My question is how long can an employeer keep you on a sus

My question is how long can an employeer keep you on a suspension
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
The answer depends upon the employer's written policies, and the nature of the suspension. "...a person who has been indefinitely suspended for misconduct has become unemployed just as surely as one who has been discharged." Morris v. Unemployment Ins. Appeals Board, 34 Cal. App. 3d 1002, at 1007 (Cal. App. 2d Dist. 1973).

There is no bright line here. If you believe that the employer has effectively suspended you as a means to fire you without actually saying so, then you can file for unemployment benefits, and let the UI investigator decide.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!