Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Receiving A Contract Work Payment after UI Benefits Begin

Prior to the filing date, I was working on a project as an independent contractor. I am now, finally, able to invoice the company for previous work done. I expect to be paid mid-august. I filed for UI on June 16th, and starting receiving benefits around July 4th. Will the fact that I am being paid in August, for work done prior to June 16th, impact my eligibility to continue receiving UI benefits?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, reporting the income that you received will impact your UI benefits.

However, you will only need to report the amount of money that you made and your benefits will likely be discontinued for a few weeks, but you will be eligible to continue to receive UI benefits after that period has expired.