NonEstateEsq
NonEstateEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney since 2000. Columbia Law School graduate.
16277701

I think I asked this question before but did not get a response. The

I think I asked this question before but did not get a response.
The basic question was about the CA statue of limitations for employment-relayed claims. I have been a Stanford University employee for 7 years when I was in my 30s.
Stanford regulations required my immediate employer (thus a faculty member) to provide benefits such as making contributions to the Stanford Pension plan. Stanford did not enforce its own regulations. For my first 30 months, this faculty member ignored these regulations and did pay neither the mandatory minimum wage nor did he make pension plan contributions.
The present value of the money that did not end up in my pension fund is about $150,000
My former employer is still alive. Would it be possible to recover the $150,000 from him or from Stanford University.
FYI the money/benefits not paid would have come out of a US Government research grant.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  NonEstateEsq replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using the JA website. Please remember that this site is intended to provide general legal information only.

When did these alleged violations take place?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The information about my Stanford employment is
Jan 1, 1977 - Dec 31.1983
Please, note: after having been exploited as cheap labor for 3.5 years my immedate supervisor started conforming to Stanford rules. The present value of my money in the Stanford retirement plan is about $120.000.
That is because he made mandatory pension contributions for the next 3.5 years.
To clarify, you did not file any complaints in regards XXXXX XXXXX in the past 28 years?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. The main reason was that my former supervisor is a powerful and wealthy man. I would have been blackballed if I had taken legal action against him.
At one time I even feared for my life.
I once asked the SF Bar Association for help but they refused to recommend one of their members. This might have been 20 years ago.
The statute of limitations for breach of contract has unfortunately long passed. The SOL is 4 years for a written breach of contract claim.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the green ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for our time, expertise, and research. We do not get paid by the website and so we rely on customers to honor the honor system and accept our responses so that we can continue to provide this service to people such as yourself. When leaving feedback, please also remember that we experts do not make the laws. We only report what the laws are and so please do not shoot the messenger.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does this "breach of contract" apply to my former supervisor, the Stanford Chemistry Department and the Stanford Benefits Office? All of them?
It would apply to whomever you had the contract with. I assume that it was your employer who was supposed to make the contributions and not your supervisor since it would be an odd and unusual arrangement to have an employee pay the pension of another employee.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My employer was my supervisor. He put me on the Stanford payroll and was required to abide by Stanford regulations. He failed to do so.
I noticed that you have been in the legal business for many years.
Did you ever see a research proposal approved by and funded by, say, the NSF (national science foundation)?
When you apply for a research grant, the application package includes a reseach proposal, a cost estimate and an explanation for the way the grant money will be spent if the application is approved.
Thus my salary was in applicable approved research grant proposals. Would it make sense to get copies of these proposals? You see what I am getting at? Thus if he budgetted me for $30,000/yr + benefits and actually paid me $10,00/yr without benefits, he committed fraud.
You appear to now be talking about something different than pension contributions. However, unfortunately, the statute of limitations would have long expired for a wage claim as well since it has been over 23 years.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One final question.
Fraudulent use of federal grant money would be a federal crime.
What is the federal statue of limitations for this kind of fraud?
The SOL would be 5 years. 7 years if it involves a grant of over 1 million dollars.

NonEstateEsq, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Attorney since 2000. Columbia Law School graduate.