socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Thank you. I am the employer. I won a meritless S&W case that

Thank you.
I am the employer. I won a meritless S&W case that was filed
against me. Also I was never served in the cae and was not notified
of it for 6 years.

Q1:What is the Statute of Limitations to seek sanctions from Claimant's attorney under CA LABOR CODE % 5813 ?

Q2: Can I bring an action for Laches and or Abuse of Process
In CA SUPERIOR COURT or must it only be heard by the
WCAB ?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, but this is the first that I've seen of this question. Not sure why it's been hiding for nearly two days. That said, you asked:

A: Sanctions not requested prior to final judgment of the WCAB must be brought within 20 days of final judgment. Labor Code 5900-5903.

Q2: Can I bring an action for Laches and or Abuse of Process In CA SUPERIOR COURT or must it only be heard by the WCAB ?

A: Laches is not a cause of action. It is an affirmative defense to the action of another. Thus, it cannot be brought anywhere, by anyone at any time. Abuse of Legal Process is not actionable because it is part of the normal workers compensation process. Mosby v. Liberty Mutual Ins. Co., 110 Cal. App. 4th 995 (Cal. App. 4th Dist. 2003). However, a malicious prosecution complaint can be made in Superior Court, if the claim is that the entire WC complaint was frivolous and brought to injure the defendant. Mosby, supra, at 1005.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)