Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

My employer has changed work schedules and now requires employees

My employer has changed work schedules and now requires employees to take 30 minute non-paid lunch break, forcing the employees to work a 5.5 hour day, while only paying the employees for 5 hours. Legal? Thank you
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

If the employee is not required to work during their lunch break and may use the time as their own personal time, this is typically legal under CA law, yes.

Good luck and take care.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.