Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I have been told I cant work on my usual sets by the local

Customer Question

I have been told I can't work on my usual sets by the local 44 film industry. I have been doing this job for 7 years under the impression I was good with the union. In november they closed the books, I was in the hospital having major surgery so I did not know. Either way if I did I felt it it didn't pertain to me. I had complications from the surgery and had another surgery in January. I went back to work in May on my 3rd job I was told to go to the union hall by a rep that visited the set. I went to the hall the very next business day and was told I was not a member and I needed to jump through all these hoops. Which I did. I fulfilled my days and the union still denies acceptance of my days. They even threatened to have me arrested believing one of my doc's was fraudulent. I've been told other members are being treated in a different manner and are allowed to continue working. As a female doing a mans job I feel as if I'm being discriminated against and have run into every wall. I'm at my wits end and I need help. Thank you for listening
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation and am working on your answer now.

You believe you are being singled out for less favorable treatment by the union because of your gender?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure why they are making it so difficult. I can only think it's do to my gender. I have a male co worker who is not have the same difficulty. I just wanted to go back to work so I didn't rock the boat. I did what I believed they asked me to do to make things right. It was only received with bully tactics and the last meeting was left with "good luck getting your 4 days" knowing it would be next to impossible.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

This appears to involve a breach of the union's duty of fair representation, which requires that employees be treated the same with regard to membership regardless of their race, gender, disability, or other protected status.

It is typically best in this situation to retain a local labor law attorney to communicate a demand to the union or a lawsuit will be filed. If it can be resolved without a lawsuit, this option should not be too costly.

Good luck and take care.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been looking for someone to speak to as far as a local law attorney and I am getting no where. I am now having to work on non union job that are in fact reactivating my back injury. Something needs to be done and I can't seem to hook up with the right people.
I know the labor is in breach I just need someone to tell them that. They have stopped listening to me and have ruined my reputation with my employers.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I don't know which area of the state you are in, but you can google the name of your city and employee labor law attorneys to try to locate ones who represent employees.

Findlaw.com and martindale.com are usually good sources for locating attorneys by area of practice and location as well.

All the best to you.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by Justanswer.com. If you do not press ACCEPT, the website retains your payment and I receive nothing. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am in los angeles and I have done all of those things. I wouldn't be here if I had no other allternatives
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I cannot represent you and this is not a referral service unfortunately. If you are looking for representation here, I cannot help you I'm afraid since I am prevented by the website's TOS from representing individuals through this forum.