socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I have owned and operated a business in CA for the last five

I have owned and operated a business in CA for the last five years. Over these five years, I did not pay myself a regular salary, but only used the revenue from the company that I needed for living expenses. My company has recently become insolvent and I am now forced to look for a job. Am I eligible for unemployment compensation until I find a job?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
In order to qualify for unemployment in California, you must have had eligible wage during the first four of the last five calendar quarters prior to your filing for benefits. If you paid into the unemployment system during the above-described time period, then you would be eligible for benefits, but only if your business can no longer pay you because of circumstances beyond your control (loss of revenue, contracts, etc.).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!