Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I need to reduce the overhead of my company. I have a total

I need to reduce the overhead of my company. I have a total of 12 employees. One employee has been with the company six years as office suuport and works 25-30 hrs a week. The other employee has been with the company for 10 years in sales. We can no longer support the salary structure and will redistribute the accounts with in the company. Both employees are over 50 yrs old. How would I classfiy the ending of their employment with the company. I plan on offering a four week severence package to both,
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

This would typically involve a layoff due to restructuring. The employees would be eligible for unemployment benefits since they are being laid off through no fault of their own.

There is no need to address a potential age discrimination suit in this situation typically since you have fewer than 20 employees, so age discrimination statutes would not apply to your company.

Good luck and take care.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.