barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 12 years. MBA degree earned as well.
19958803

I work for a university in San Diego, CA. My boss is forcing

Customer Question

I work for a university in San Diego, CA. My boss is forcing alternative work weeks (4/10 days)/ No choice and no notice. But, I am hired as a temp employee through the universites temp agency. Can i be forced not asked to work a few weeks of 4/10 then with no notice back to 5/8 days?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 years ago.

.

You aren't going to like this, but unless you are a governmental employee or are under an employment contract, all employment in CA is considered "at will". What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.

.

While what the employer did may have been inequitable, it was not illegal as they have the right to schedule work as necessary for staffing needs.

.

Obviously you wouldn't have to agree, but they could then terminate the job with the temp agency and request someone who would work the schedule.

.

I know this is not the news you had hoped for.

.

.

thanks

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand/resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.

Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.