nyclawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced lawyer helping employers and employees reach solutions and litigate disputes.

I was told by my administrators secratary (who calculates

I was told by my administrator's secratary (who calculates the timecards) that people
can "make up" regular hours by working over 8 hours and not get paid overtime?

I thought anytime you worked over 8 hours in California you had to be paid overtime?

The secretary showed be a form that had been made that is an agreement between employee-employer stating that the employee will be 'making up' missed hours by working more than 8 hours on another day and not recieving overtime. Currently there are 18 fulltime employees, 6 partime employees and 5 contracted providers as well as the incorperated owner. Very curious, no respect for the law here!

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification. You are indeed correct here and may point out the following information as well directly from the state labor department. If you work the hours you mentioned, overtime has to be paid, independent of any agreement otherwise.

Thank you very much for the question.

Please click the GREEN ACCEPT button for the answer so that I may receive credit for it. Otherwise, though you may have made a deposit or signed up for a membership, I do not receive any credit. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated.

If you have a follow up or need clarification, please write back and ask me and I will be happy to address it.

There may be a delay between your follow up and my answer if I am researching an issue, helping another customer or taking a break. Rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

Sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to you ll you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me in the future by beginning a new question with "this question is for Infolawyer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more question. I went to the the website and they had a "overtime exemption" section. Although difficult for me to understand, does it say that if someone administrative makes 2x the minimum wage they can go into an agreement that allows them to work over 8 hours in a 24 hour period?