NonEstateEsq
NonEstateEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney since 2000. Columbia Law School graduate.
16277701

I responded to a job posting for a permanent position with

Customer Question

I responded to a job posting for a permanent position with the state of California. After applying and interviewing, I was offered a permanent full-time position by my current supervisor. I quit my old job and relocated in order to take the current job. When I received my appointment paperwork (after I started the current position), it read that my appointment is only limited-term (12 months). I brought this matter to the attention of my supervisor and personnel. Apparently, someone in personnel made an error. I was told that it would be corrected and that my position would be converted to permanent after appropriate approval was received from headquarters. I have been in my position for over 6 months and have received high performance evaluations. I am off of probation and have been recommended for permanent status by my supervisor. Headquarters is still dragging their feet on this issue; they still have not given the approval to convert my position. Do I have any recourse?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  NonEstateEsq replied 3 years ago.
Is a written job offer all you had or did you have a written employment contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no written employment contract. I was extended an oral offer for a permanent position. Personnel has admitted that there was an error on their part and have told me that my position will be converted. It has been 4 months since they told me that, however, and they have not converted the position in the employee database.
Without an employment contract, you have no legal basis upon which to force them to convert you into a permanent position, unfortunately.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is that true even though I have received written performance evaluations and a written recommendation for permanent status from my supervisor when no performance evaluations are even given to limited-term employees?
Yes, that is still true. A supervisor can recommend you and you can receive evaluations but there is still no written contract. In other words, you are still an at-will employee.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In state civil service, there are no "employment contracts." There are bargaining agreements between the state and groups of employees.
Did you need clarification on any part of my answer?