Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

My husband was in a car accident and was given 7 days rest

Customer Question

My husband was in a car accident and was given 7 days rest for whiplash and back injury by the doctor he saw immediately after. He put in a request to his job that he use his vacation pay for the impending week and was refused. Did they have the right to do so?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

Vacation pay is not required by law. Because of that, employers are typically free to implement their own policies with regard to when vacation may be taken. They must ultimately pay employees any accrued but unused vacation upon termination of employment based on state law, but state law does not normally dictate when employers must permit employees to use it.

Therefore, the employers refusal to permit your husband to take vacation days while recuperating, while unreasonable perhaps, is not typically unlawful.

Good luck and take care.

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.