Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I am currently on Medicaid legally because I am poor. I have

Customer Question

I am currently on Medicaid legally because I am poor. I have been offered the position of becoming head of my household, but not owner of my house. To be head of the household three people in my house will pay in check form the rent into my bank account and then I pay all four rents to the landlord. The rent for all four rooms combined is $2,800. I pay $675. I earn little enough to be legally on Medicaid. If my housemates in the future put their rent checks into my account and then I pay it to the landlord can I stay on Medicaid?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I live in Washington State.
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: I do not own assets. I have not signed to be head of household and get three checks from housemates into my bank account before sending it to the landlord, I have been offered the position.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is my question. I earn little enough from my job my bank account stays under $2,000. I am curious if my housemates rent checks if they were to go into my bank account before I pay the full rent if that would count against me and take me off Medicaid?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

WA's Medicaid eligibility limit for assets is $2,000. If depositing these rent checks into your account causes your balance to exceed that amount, you could lose your eligibility.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will pay me. Thank you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this. Without that, I am not paid by Just Answer. Thank you.