Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I bought insurance for a flight from trip mate.com I had to

Customer Question

Hello I bought insurance for a flight from trip mate.com I had to cancel the flight because I lost my passport. It was an international flight. One of the legitimate reasons of cancelling a flight was due to loss of passport. I spoke with customer service I filed a claim and I was told I will be refunded over $500 then I called them a month later to follow up and then they lowered the refund amount to 455.20. I have a confirmation number and the pin number. Today I receive a letter from tripmate saying the passport was not one of the reasons and I saw that on the website myself with my own eyes that loss of a passport is included AND I even CONFIRMED that with the agent online from the insurance company in November when this all occurred. I live in New York. Now they are saying they are not giving me any money back.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to file complaint with New York Attorney State Department of Insurance. You may also file a Small Claim at your local Courthouse. You can download complaint forms and instructions online.

Goodluck with your case.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did that last night. Will that ensure me to get my money back ? It's a scam. You buy insurance and when you want to use it, they say okay we will give you a certain amount back. Two times i spoke with them. then a month later say no.

I cannot guarantee any result. I am only here to provide information. You would need to take up the issue with department of insurance. That's the agency that would attempt to resolve your dispute with the insurer.

A positive rating to my post is now requested. That's the way I get paid for answering questions on this site. There is no additional cost for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.