Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

LLP that is written in a way that the general partner has

Customer Question

LLP that is written in a way that the general partner has full control. Dose a minor (8%) partner has the rite to look at the books? once a year? Can he has the right to an annual meeting .Does the General partner have some responsibility to the limited partners to maximize return on investment...Can he liquidate holdings without the consent....of other partners WHAT RIGHTS DO THE OTHER PARTNERS HAVE IN THE RELATION (state of CALIFORNIA)
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

At this link you will find CA law governing LLPs. Please obtain a copy of your partnership agreement to determine the circumstances and conditions under which one may audit the books. Generally, it is common for all partners, whether majority or minority interest holders, to be able to audit the books with a written request.

More to come...

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

Under CA Corporations Code Section 15904.08 a general partner’s fiduciary duties owed to the limited partners and other general partners include the following:

• Account for the limited partnership assets;

• Hold property, profit, or benefits derived from partnership property or activities as a trustee for the benefit of the limited partnership;

• Refrain from acting as or on behalf of another with an adverse interest when dealing with the limited partnership; • Refrain from competing with the limited partnership; and

• Refrain from engaging in grossly negligent or reckless conduct, intentional misconduct, or breaking the law regarding partnership activities.

So, if the GP is not in compliance, a breach of fiduciary duty claim may be asserted under one of the above theories.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.