Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
18215332

I am female and owner of a decorative pavement company in

Customer Question

I am female and owner of a decorative pavement company in Central Pennsylvania. I've been in business since 2000.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I recently did some work on the bike lanes in Washington, D.C. across the street from Trump International Hotel. I was asked by another person I have worked with a little before (he and his brother were in business together when I worked with them). He told me that the project was 400 sf. (very small) and it needed to be done by the next Saturday (4 days in the future). I agreed to do the work, and asked for something in writing (contract or purchase order) but this person said there that was not necesssary - that someone would be there to pay me as soon as the work was done.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: The job turned out to be much larger and no one but my contact showed up that day. I asked repeatedly to be put in touch with the person with the contract, but he refused, saying that the payout would be in 60 days.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I was sent plans by my contact that showed the scope of the project with only one name as the sender cut from an email sent to my contact.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to speak with a female lawyer who has knowledge of construction cases where sub-contractors don't receive payment.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

I am not a female lawyer. Why should that matter? Bike lanes are on public, not private property, so the party who subbed the job to you should have had a contract with the City of Washington, DC and that's where you should start looking for payment. If you don't get paid by the City, which I'm fairly sure you won't be, you also are likely to find that the contract with the City has a "no lien" provision in it. In such case, your only recourse will be to sue the person who contracted with you.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought the same thing - public not private property. But when I called the DDOT, they said that this work was arranged to accommodate the Trump International Hotel and I was given the name of a company that did some work there. When I contacted that company to ask who the GC was, they responded by giving me the name of one of their members who was the project manager of the Trump International Hotel. She, in turn, gave me the name of their subcontractor who was hired to do this work.He paid my contact 3 days after the work was done and obviously submitted falsified documents. If I file these documents with the general contractor, won't he (not my contact - the subcontractor) be liable for payment to me?It does matter to me who I patronize. I asked for a female lawyer because I am a woman in a male dominated field. A woman would surely be more interested in a case like this -I see now that many suits have been filed concerning payment of subcontractors at the Trump International Hotel and will investigate joining forces with these folks.Thanks for nothing. .