Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I am a MASSACHUSETTS resident and interested in opening a

Customer Question

I am a MASSACHUSETTS resident and interested in opening a urinalysis lab. I work as a process engineer, would
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: I am a MASSACHUSETTS resident and interested in opening a urinalysis lab. I wok as a process engineer with a bachelor degree in chemical engineering, would my education enough to allow me to be a lab director?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What are the requirements to open an urinalysis lab in MA?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

It looks like you would need to work in a lab along with a degree to become a director or owner of a lab. Subsequent to Graduation means laboratory training and experience in an approved clinical laboratory-acquired after receipt of the degree or completion of the required academic study specified. For purposes of qualifying as a director (105 CMR 180.060), general supervisor (105 CMR 180.115), technical supervisor (105 CMR 180.125), or technologist (105 CMR 180.155), experience as a technologist in an approved clinical laboratory, which was gained prior to acquiring such degree or completing the required academic study, may be substituted on an equivalency basis of 1.5 years of such experience for every one year of post-degree training and experience; and experience as a general supervisor or technical supervisor in an approved clinical laboratory, which was gained prior to acquiring such degree or completing the required academic study, may be substituted on a one-for-one basis. Substitution of Education for Experience means for a general supervisor (105 CMR 180.115) or technologist (105 CMR 180.155) that a minimum of 30 semester hours of credit from either an approved school of medical technology, or towards a bachelor's degree in chemical physical or biological science from an accredited institution is considered equivalent to 2 years of experience. Additional education shall be equated at the rate of 15 semester hours of credit for one year of experience. http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/regs/105cmr180.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Sir. I have been working now in a urinalysis lab owned by physicians who operate an addition treatment clinic. How can this experience help me in becoming a lab owner?

I believe you would have to experience as a technologist (105 CMR 180.155), in an approved clinical laboratory:

COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS 105 CMR: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH Each clinical laboratory technologist shall meet one of the following criteria: (A) Have earned a bachelor's degree in medical laboratory science from an accredited college or university, the degree program shall have included a one year structured clinical laboratory experience in either (1) the general areas of a clinical laboratory, or (2) in a specialty area; or (B) Have earned a bachelor's degree in one of the chemical, physical, or biological sciences and, in addition, have at least one year of relevant full-time laboratory experience and/or training subsequent to graduation in the specialty or subspecialty in which the individual performs tests; or (C) Have successfully completed three years of academic study (a minimum of 90 semester hours or equivalent) in an accredited college or university, which met the specific requirements for entrance into a school of medical laboratory science accredited by an accrediting agency approved by the Department, and have successfully completed a course of training of at least 12 months in such a school which included structured clinical laboratory experience in either (1) general areas of a clinical laboratory, or (2) in a specialty area; or (D) Have successfully completed three years of academic study (90 semester hours or equivalent) in an accredited college or university with the following distribution of courses: (1) For those whose training was completed prior to July 1, 1980, at least 24 semester hours must have been in relevant chemistry and biology courses of which (a) at least six semester hours were in inorganic chemistry and at least three semester hours were in other chemistry courses; and (b) at least 12 semester hours in biology courses pertinent to the medical sciences; or (2) For those whose training was completed after July 1, 1980, (a) have a minimum of 16 semester hours in chemistry which included at least six semester hours in inorganic chemistry which are acceptable toward a major in chemistry; and (b) 16 semester hours in biology courses which are relevant to the medical sciences and are acceptable toward a major in the biological sciences; and (c) three semester hours of mathematics; and (3) Have at least one year of experience and/or training subsequent to completion of the academic study requirement, covering several fields of medical laboratory work of such quality as to provide him with education and training in medical technology equivalent to that described in 105 CMR 180.155(A) and (B); or (E) Have successfully completed two years of academic study (a minimum of 60 semester hours or equivalent) before September 15, 1963, in an accredited college or university which met the specific requirements for entrance into a school of medical laboratory science accredited by an accrediting agency approved by the Department, and have successfully completed a course of training of at least 12 months in such a school which included structured clinical laboratory experience in either: (1) general areas of a clinical laboratory, or (2) in a specialty area; or (F) Have successfully completed (1) 60 semester hours of academic study including chemistry and biology, and (2) have successfully completed cither (a) a structured curriculum in medical laboratory techniques at an approved institution, or (b) an associate degree based upon a course of study including those subjects from an accredited institution, and (3) have at least two years of documented clinical laboratory experience subsequent to graduation; or (G) Have successfully completed Effective 4/29/99 Page 16 of 28 COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS 105 CMR: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH (1) 60 semester hours of academic study including chemistry, biology and/or relevant scientific courses, and (2) have at least four years of documented clinical laboratory experience subsequent to graduation; or (H) Have achieved a satisfactory grade in a proficiency examination offered cither by the Public Health Service, Department of Health and Human Services or approved by the Department; or (I) With respect to individuals applying prior to January 1, 1985, the technologist shall (1) have been performing the duties of a clinical laboratory technologist at any time between July 1, 1973, and January 1, 1985, and (2) have at least two years of documented experience as a technologist in an approved laboratory; or (J) With respect to individuals applying prior to January 1, 1985, the technologist shall (1) have performed the duties of a clinical laboratory technician or technician trainee at any time between July 1, 1973, and January 1, 1985, and (2) have at least four years of documented clinical laboratory experience in an approved clinical laboratory.

See: http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/regs/105cmr180.pdf for all the details.

Hello: I am following up to see if you still need further help. If so, please let me know. If not, I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love you to give me a 5-star rating for the service I provided to you. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus too! Best regards.