Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

I have had a sewer company come out and clean my business

Customer Question

i have had a sewer company come out and clean my business drains over the years a few times and they just got around to sending me a statement today. a year ago they contacted me and said they didn't have my billing address, and the book keeper would be in touch. The work was performed at my address so i don't buy that excuse. the statement has a bill from 2010,12,and 16. This is the first notification I have received.
JA: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: arizona
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: how much is the service?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

It is accurate that you aren't disputing that you never paid for the services?

.

Did you ever sign any contract or was this all a verbal agreement?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
verbal call outs over the phone
i never paid for service because i just got this 8 year old statement today.
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 days ago.

Ok, then the company is out of luck for anything over 3 years old because that is the statute of limitations in AZ for an oral contract to be enforced. So the 2010 is 6 years old and the 2012 is 4 years old making them unenforceable. They could still come after you for the 2016 bill though..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok thanks thats fine, I don't mind paying but this was a big surprise bill they accrued to me of 1000.00
t
Taking 8 years to get a bill or statement to me is silly.
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 days ago.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time.. But it would only be 6 years if the oldest bill was 2010. Regardless, anything older than 3 years is unenforceable..

.

.

Have a great evening!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
sorry thank you all let them know.
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 days ago.

No worries... 6 or 8, it is still unenforceable..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating by clicking on the stars, smiley faces, or numbers on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can you send me the Arizona reference to this?
thank you!
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 days ago.

Arizona Revised Statutes §12-543(1)

.

.

thanks