Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I want to start an online business of selling iPhone parts,

Customer Question

Hi there,
i want to start an online business of selling iPhone parts, like iPhone display, or iPhone battery.
And this business will only be online for now, on a website. We will be selling online and shipping them to people who bought. Only US based selling/shipping.
Currently we are not planing to make any store, etc.. Only a website.
My question is, what do i need to start this online business? Do i need to register for this business, Or pay taxes, and if yes, can you please explain it for me and give me the steps on how to start it.
Thank you
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 22 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Since you will only be selling from one location I recommend you either form a LLC or corporation in the state in which you will operate. Once you form the business, you will need an Employer Identification Number which you can obtain from irs.gov online. You will also need a sales tax exemption certificate and a sales tax number. If your state has a sales tax, you do not want to pay sales tax on goods you purchase that you will resell to customers. The exemption certificate allows you to purchase such goods without paying sales tax. Even though you sell online, sales to customers in the state from which you operate will have to be charged state sales tax. You need the sales tax number to be able to report and files your sales tax returns.

Finally, you will need to check your local municipality to see if you need a business license to operate your online business from the location you have selected.

Those are the basics of what you need to do to start your business.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi there,what if i start it using https://www.shopify.com/Do i still need to do all the steps you recommended?

You will need have the sales tax number. If you do not organize a company, the EIN that will be used is your personal social security number. You will be personal liable for any claim that arises from your activities. If you do not check with the municipality to see if a business license is needed for your location, including your home, you can run into problems later but unless your activities get noticeable as a practical matter they will not notice. The sales tax is unavoidable otherwise you will have tax problems.

Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 18 days ago.

I sent you the answer to your question a few days ago. If you do not have any additional questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.

Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 14 days ago.