Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Can a member-only club or a foundation legally conduct a

Customer Question

can a member-only club or a foundation legally conduct a raffle in florida?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm looking for general legal guidance on how to conduct a raffle in florida
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 20 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under FL laws, charities and registered non-profits with a IRS 501c tax ID can conduct charitable raffles. Chapter 97-108, Laws of Florida, authorizes additional tax-exempt organizations to conduct drawings by chance or raffles. Section(###) ###-#### Florida Statutes, authorizes qualified nonprofit corporations and their officers, employees and agents to conduct drawings by chance, provided certain conditions are met.[7] All brochures, advertisements, notices, tickets, or entry blanks used for such drawings must conspicuously disclose:

"(a) The rules governing the conduct and operation of the drawing.
(b) The full name of the organization and its principal place of business.
(c) The source of the funds used to award cash prizes or to purchase prizes.
(d) The date, hour, and place where the winner will be chosen and the prizes will be awarded, unless the brochures, advertisements, notices, tickets, or entry blanks are not offered to the public more than 3 days prior to the drawing.
e) That no purchase or contribution is necessary."

You would need to contact Division of Consumer Services of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services regarding getting permission for your non-profit to conduct the raffles, but you may do so as a registered non-profit.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.