Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

Great lawyers of the United States, I have a "Can I do this"

Customer Question

Hello great lawyers of the United States,
I have a "Can I do this" sort of questions for you guys.
I have recently met a great guy that lives in Minnesota. Him and I want to start up an e-commerce company together. He is an American citizen, living and residing in Minnesota. I am a Jordanian Citizen, living in Qatar. We want to operate this company virtually.
My questions are:
1 - Can we incorporate our business in the United States, where both of our names are ***** ***** the legal shareholders of the business?
2 - Can I, as a non-resident, have legal access to the company's bank account?
I'd like to stress that this is nothing more than side income, and the nature of the business is simply selling information products (such as guides and tutorials through videos / e-books).
Happy to hear your advice.
Yosuef
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 24 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Sure. What do you need.

Hello Yosuef: You can incorporate the business in the United States and both of you can be shareholders of the business. You do not need a Visa or work permit unless you are doing business in the United States. In other words, if you are a passive investor and are not acting as an employee doing business in the US, then you can be a shareholder without the need for further documentation. With regard to a bank account, you can be a co-signer or be named on the bank account. Each bank is different in what they require, but they want to have the proper ID for you and may require you to get a document notarized at a US consulate in your home country. We can discuss more if you want to do so.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I'm just a bit confused.So I can't be an active investor? Meaning I can't make business decisions on behalf of the company? Find deals? Make products?That would be besides the point of the business would it now?

Yousef: You can be an active investor. You can make business decisions and find deals, and make projects. If you wanted to work in the United States with the company, then you would need a Visa.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I see, so I can do everything I can from where I live, still make my income and distribute it evenly between me and my Partner? That's great!Do you know of any law firms that can help us in facilitating this process?

Since you are incorporating in Minnesota, if that is your choice, then you would want a law firm in Minnesota. If you know the county, I can attempt to find a referral number for you to call to request an attorney.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 19 days ago.

Hello again Yousef! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.