Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am a minority who owns a business in the construction

Customer Question

I am a minority who owns a business in the construction security supply and rental equipment and has an investor that would like to join my company, However he is not a minority and has 3 other successful businesses. Will his 30% share ownership affect my MBE Certificate or my DBE Certificate?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No because I have not signed a contract to accept the investors offer yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The two main concerns are the DBE Certificate and the MBE certificate. I was told that an investor that is not a minority cannot have power or control of any bank accounts related to my business and will be difficult becoming a partner, I would like clarity on this. especially with the DBE
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
As long as the business is owned at least 51% by minorities, the business is considered a minority business enterprise. So if you are bringing in another partner who is not a minority, you need to make sure that minorities own 51% of the business to retain your MBE certification.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.