Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Can a for profit business collect a donation on behalf of a

Customer Question

Can a for profit business collect a donation on behalf of a charitable org. Keeping a fee, and the donor get a tax deduction? Does the donor simply need a 501c number?
JA: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: california, and no
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: no, I am exploring a business model
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i just want to know how to do this, i will need professional services down the road
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It happens all of the time, where charities hire marketing companies to solicit donations on behalf of the non-profit and they keep fees for their service. The non-profit provides a receipt to the donor for the whole donation and the non-profit receives the money from the for profit company, minus their service fees.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.