California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California
19551178

Tina, I recently obtained a contractors license, with the

Customer Question

Hi Tina, I recently obtained a contractors license, with the first job being the roofing of a church I attend. As I had problems with the pastor, there has been a dispute about my workmanship, and I am not being allowed to cure any defects. My question is, when I bought my contractor's liability policy (which covers defects and damages in workmanship) I was asked how many years of roofing experience I had.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I haven't made a claim yet, my question is, when I applied for the policy, I estimated my experience (if memory serves) as three or four seasons, however I was not an actual contractor doing those jobs, but rather doing those on family owned buildings (my family owns a number of commercial and rental buildings), I did so in good faith, might I expect questions along these lines, and would this invalidate eh policy?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What's the fee per hour?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  California Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

I will try and help. By "seasons" what do you mean?

DCG

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
summers, here in the northwest roofing is mainly just a summer activity owing to the weather

A lot of this comes down to what you put on the application, and whether or not it was true. Washington code RCW 48.30.230 (and arguably others) makes it a crime to make a false statement (affidavit) in support of an insurance claim. Your "good faith" is irrelevant. If you said "seasons" and they accepted it, you are good. If you said "years" and is false, they you may be in trouble. Are the authorities likely to be involved? Doubtful. Will the insurance company use this to dodge the claim? If they discover it and if they can.

The short answer is that they will probably review your application when this gets rolling. Be ready for it.

I hope this helps.

DCG