LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I have an engagement letter with a law firm for services

Customer Question

Hi there. I have an engagement letter with a law firm for services they provided 3 years ago. They provided the services and I paid their fees but the letter is silent on termination. Does this terminate automatically once considertaion has exchnaged and the services completed or do I need to manually terminate. I ask because I have quite a few of these.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Yes, once the scope of the representation has been completed, the obligation to use this firm, would cease. Once the case is over with and they have done the worked they were required to and everything is finished, that would be the end of this. You do not have to write a letter terminating your agreement with them, since they were hired for a specific reason and that reason is over with.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
awesome - I am selling my company to a purchaser and want to clean it up so that there are no stray liabilities but from your response I dont need to worry about engagement letters. thanks

Yes, unless you have something whereby they are of counsel and retained to handle all your legal issues, if they were solely hired for one case, once it is done, that would be it. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.