Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I have a US Patent for a device indicating when a moving

Customer Question

I have a US Patent for a device indicating when a moving vehicle has enough inertia (momentum) to move without using its engine.
The cars manufacturers allege the same results with a pressure gauge indicator which is a misrepresentation.
What would be the ground to sue them for damages?
http://www.ectrainerinvention.com
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Hi Tomi: Some law first: There are two types of infringement: „ Direct infringement and Indirect infringement. Direct Infringement is when a party is liable for direct infringement if, without authority, it either: „ Makes, uses, offers to sell or sells a patented invention within the US. „ Imports a patented invention into the US. (35 U.S.C. § 271(a).) Contributory (Indirect) Infringement is when a party is liable for contributory infringement if both of the following requirements are met: „ The party sells or offers to sell within the US, or imports into the US, a component of a patented invention or a material or apparatus for practicing a patented process. „ The only use of the component, material or apparatus is in the patented product or in practicing the patented process. (35 U.S.C. § 271(c).)

The key is whether the other party is using a component, material or apparatus of the patented product. So, if the pressure gauge indicator was built using your patent, there could be a claim. You mention misrepresentation, it is unclear what claim you wold have against them. That would be a consumer claim, unless you are saying manufacturer is misrepresenting something about your patent. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Hello again Tomi! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.