Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

Interesting in LLC-ing a company with a name that is already

Customer Question

Interesting in LLC-ing a company with a name that is already a registered domain for a similar business purpose. The registrant is in India, I'm forming the LLC in Florida USA. As far as I can tell the domain is just parked, not used. They also have a facebook of the same name that hasn't been updated in 4 years.
Is this something that could cause me headache down the line with name infringement?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you really want to avoid an issue with this. You likely wouldn't hear anything from these guys until your business becomes really successful. Then, they'll likely contact you and demand you cease and desist using the name and demand a large payment for your past use. Knowing that this name is ***** ***** up front, you either want to use a different name or, if you simply can't live without this name, reach out to them now to buy the name from them. Given that you haven't established a successful business yet, buying it now will be much cheaper than being extorted at a later date.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!