Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

What are the guidelines for returning a car under the lemon

Customer Question

What are the guidelines for returning a car under the lemon law? I have a car that has been in for the same problem several times. Cerritos Acura says there is no fix for it and that they will no longer try and fix it. The car is under warranty still. I don't know what do do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 month ago.

To be clear lemon laws apply only to new vehicles. You do have a breach of contract claim here and you would need to file a lawsuit to enforce your rights to what you paid or to have them ordered to fix the car or provide a replacement at comparable value.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
THE CAR IS A 2014 AND HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR OVER A YEAR. HOW NEW DOES A CAR HAVE TO BE THE FALL UNDER THE LEMON LAW?

That would apply here actually. Here is a great guide for pursuing your rights here. Your claim is actually against acura company not the dealership.
http://www.californialemonlaw.info/

I did not realize you resided in California initially and some states' lemon laws only apply to new cars but California law is more generous.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise a positive rating of 5 stars would be appreciated.