Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience corps, LLC's and partnerships; preparation, negotiation of complex contracts and business agreements
20355756

I am a professional Body Painter with over 20 years of

Customer Question

I am a professional Body Painter with over 20 years of experience, I use the human canvas as my palette as well as being honored to have my artwork i placed in major retail stores.
One of my most infamous images is being used by a business on Facebook to directly promote their brand. What do you suggest is the most effective way to approach this situation to either be compensated for the use of my image
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 month ago.

Hello there --

-

You should either contact a local attorney to write a cease and desist letter under the US Copyright laws or prepare and send one yourself. It is a specific letter that tells the recipient that if they do not stop using the image they will be subject to damages to the author of the work (you). The law requires that this letter be sent and terms of a settlement negotiated with the person violating the copyright before any lawsuit can be filed on your behalf. You could actually do this letter up yourself and send it to them if you know where to find them -- there is a lot of information online about the form and guidelines for preparing and sending these letters -- here is a link to one such site where you can get a free copy of such a letter to use as a template. http://www.free-legal-document.com/copyright-cease-and-desist.html

-

By sending this letter yourself you may be able to get them to stop using the image -- but if you want damages from the situation (money paid to you for the unauthorized use), and they refuse any kind of settlement, then you will have to contact a local attorney about filing a lawsuit against the unauthorized user under the US Copyright laws.

-

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the rating section so I will be paid and given credit for assisting you today. A positive rating is the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY