Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Counselor at Law.

I am starting a computer repair shop. What type of liability

Customer Question

I am starting a computer repair shop. What type of liability forms should I have the customer sign to prevent me from being responsible for any data loss, damages, etc. when the customer turns their computer over to me? My business is a LLC.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am providing a sample waiver below. NOTE that waivers CAN differ according to the needs of the shop and the customer.

I authorize (name of shop) (hereafter COMPANY) technician(s) to perform work on my computer system, which is a _______________________. I understand that COMPANY technicians have been trained to perform computer hardware and software work, but COMPANY is not an authorized service dealer. Further, I agree to release, indemnify, and hold harmless COMPANY from liability for any claims or damages of any kind or description that may arise from any computer work performed on my computer, even if caused by negligence of COMPANY or its agent. I understand that COMPANY is not responsible for any data loss, which may occur as a result of work done on my computer.

I certify that I am the expressed owner of the computer system described in this document. In the event that I am found not to be the true expressed owner of this computer system, I assume all liability for any claim made as the result of the technical support rendered by COMPANY on this computer system, including those claims which assert negligence on the part of COMPANY.

I understand that technical support rendered by COMPANY may void manufacturer warranties for this computer system. COMPANY does not assume any liability or warranty in the event that the manufacturer warranties are voided.

I understand that COMPANY offers no verbal or written warranty, either expressed or implied, regarding the success of this technical support.

I expressly waive all claims against COMPANY for any damages to this computer system or data that are incidental to the technical support rendered by COMPANY. The liability of COMPANY is strictly limited to those damages to this computer system or data that are due to negligence on the part of COMPANY while technical support is being rendered.

I certify that I will pay, in full, for the services rendered on this computer system at the current rate of $___/hour. I understand that my security/damage deposit does not cover this.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you that was very informational.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 days ago.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the REPLY or SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.