LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Trying to rent an apartment in Brighton MA. The realtor

Customer Question

Trying to rent an apartment in Brighton MA. The realtor showed it to her with her black friend, my daughter is white. The next day he said it was rented. It still is being updated on Craig's List, and in fact my daughter other friend called and was able to make an appointment to view the apartment this Saturday. Is there anything I can do to file a complaint against the landlord, or is it legal to discriminate in this way??
Thank you
Nancy Spicer
Category: Business Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Yes, you can. If you believe there is discrimination based upon race, you can file a complaint with the State and they will look into the actions of the landlord. I have provided a link below with all the information you need to proceed and it is not legal to discriminate.

http://www.mass.gov/ago/consumer-resources/your-rights/civil-rights/housing/housing-discrimination.html