Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer
Experience:  Law Clerk for 7 years

I want to form a single owner LLC which will be an online

Customer Question

Hello. I want to form a single owner LLC which will be an online business (no physical presence). I will work from my laptop where ever I am, sometimes from home. On the Maryland form for Articles of Organization, I will use a registered agent service for the Company and Address of the registered agent, I will name my business name, but what do I put for item (3) �The address of the Limited Liability Company in Maryland is��? I prefer to keep my home address out of this, but if I don�t use that then what other address can I use? Can I leave that item blank since there is no physical presence? My concern is privacy for my family and home, plus I want to make sure that listing my home address there does not pierce the corporate veil and put my home at risk should something happen in the future. (Since the home is not really used for the business.)
Thank you.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 19 days ago.

Hi Ken, thanks for your question. I see that post office boxes are not accepted. Do you have a Mailboxes Etc. store nearby? They can provide you with a physical mailing address. If that's not an option, you may need to look into someone you know and trust who owns a business and won't mind you listing it on the articles. The times that you receive mail based on this should be minimal, so hopefully someone would be willing to help you out.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for the reply, but you did not really answer either of my two core questions. First of all, P.O. Boxes are not accepted (as stated on the instructions for the form), but neither are store boxes such as Mailboxes Etc. It also doesn't make any sense to list an address that has nothing to do with me such as a friend's business address. My two core questions are 1) can I leave the item blank and 2) is there risk of piercing the corporate veil if I list my home as the business address?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am considering signing up for a monthly subscription, but your answer felt like you didn't thoroughly read my question. As suggested in the FAQ section, I would like to request an answer from a different expert. Thank you.