Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.

My wife is suing for defamatory remarks online. Some of the

Customer Question

My wife is suing for defamatory remarks online. Some of the remarks are untrue, and thus her rationale behind suing. I just noticed that within these defamatory remarks against my wife, I was briefly mentioned (stating what my occupation was). I am a business owner. They also hashtagged my business type (but not the name of my business). They haven't stated anything that was defamatory about me, however, I just wanted to know if I would be able to sue, and if I would have a good chance to win...based on the claim that although they did not directly make defamatory remarks about me, because they made defamatory remarks about my wife, which resultantly impacts my business in a negative way.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 26 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question and develop a response. We may discuss it too. Does that sound good to you?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
that would be great

Great. Let me review it. I will be right back.

When someone defames a business or someone who is working in a business for the work or role they are performing, it is called defamation per se. The burden is less to prove because it effects someone's livelihood. There is a possibility a reference to a business indicating a tie to an alleged defamation can create a cause of action (a claim) of defamation per se. It does depend on the facts and whether there can be some proof of damages, like lost profits, or less customers, etc. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
But specifically, my wife was defamed, not me. They only referred to my occupation, and hashtagged my "type" of business. Do I still have a claim?

Hi Ben: Without more tie to the business, or an actually defamation of the business, there would appear to be no claim. Let's say though a spouse of a business owner is defamed with the intent of harming the business, then possibility there is a claim. So, if a spouse is defamed without some tie to the business, the the business would not have a claim; but if the defamation of the spouse is related to the business, then the business could have a claim. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 22 days ago.

Hello Ben: I have not heard back from you. If you need additional assistance, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love you to give me a 5 star rating. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. Best regards.