CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
71563194

In Florida, is a non-compete agreement that an employer asks

Customer Question

In Florida, is a non-compete agreement that an employer asks an independent contractor to sign enforceable?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Yes, they can be - if the employer is able to show a "legitimate business interest" in the non-compete and the non-compete is narrowly tailored to protect those interests (Florida Statute §542.335).

Commonly used terms are such that include "not to engage in competing business within 100 miles of any operation of other party, for a period of 2 years" (as this is usually deemed sufficiently limited in scope to allow the independent contractor to find alternative employment or to do so within a reasonable period).

This of course does not work for all business, and this is very fact specific, so you may need local counsel to review the specifics of your contract to provide you with a formal opinion as to the potential enforceability of your specific contract, but yes - they can be enforceable, and Florida has shown a tendency to do so rather readily.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Contract is restricting an employment that would directly or indirectly compete with business within a 10 mile radius, for two years AFTER contract is complete.

If the contract is binding for longer than 2 years, there is a good chance that it will be deemed unenforceable as it is too restrictive.

However, you I recommend a "formal legal opinion" - something only a local attorney can provide - to advise you of the enforceability of your specific contract.

This article by the Florida Bar Association gives you a good overview of what the attorney is going to be looking at (what is too restrictive), but, each contract is going to be evaluated on its own merits.

https://www.floridabar.org/divcom/jn/jnjournal01.nsf/Author/72BDF921E705A78885256E5F007442D8

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Understood I will seek local legal advice. But you're saying if it is longer than two years it may be too restrictive; does the 1 year working, and 2 years non-compete count as 3? Or just the 2 years of non-compete?

The non-compete is going to be measured as the time that you are actually restricted from your trade AFTER leaving employment.

It does not include the time that you work for the employer.