Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am planing to import cut flowers from Thailand to Los

Customer Question

I am planing to import cut flowers from Thailand to Los Angeles,CA. Therefore, I contacted so many custom brokers in the area. I received a various responds from my custom brokers about the licenses. I would like to know what license do i need to import cut flowers from Thailand, and how can i know the import tax rate?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is not really overly complicated actually. The plants need to be inspected by the USDA at the nearest USDA facility prior to shipping if possible and receive a permit saying they are free of disease and bugs. They are sealed and inspected again in the US. Here is a very simple manual that you can follow for dealing with cut flower imports: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/cut_flower_imports.pdf
As far as the tax rate, this is based on what you import and the Harmonized Tariff Schedule and you can calculate the duty for cut flowers at: https://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm