Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I want to open a business doing suttle service with a 15

Customer Question

I want to open a business doing suttle service with a 15 passenger sprinter from NJ to NY what do I need ?
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question and develop a response. We may discuss it too. Does that sound good to you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Generally, the Transportation Law requires a carrier to obtain "Operating Authority" from the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) when passengers are carried for compensation within New York State.

Types of Passenger Operating Authority:

1. COMMON CARRIER: A Common Carrier certificate may be issued to carriers that serve the general public and charge individual fares. Some examples are:
    • Bus Lines
    • Ambulette or Transit Disabled Services
    • Airport Services
  2. CONTRACT CARRIER: A Contract Carrier permit may be issued to carriers who have an agreement (contract) with a person or organization that allows for the transportation of an individual or group at a fixed price. (i.e., contract with health care facility to transport clients at a fixed rate...........................................The length of time required to complete the application process usually varies between six and 16 weeks. Much of this time is consumed by both legal notice requirements (such as the need to wait 30 days for public response after the application is published in the NYSDOT Weekly Bulletin of Applications) and the requirements to give ten days notice prior to a public hearing date. Other delays occur when the application is not completed properly or when there are protests to an application, or when an applicant requests a postponement of a scheduled hearing. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have to deal with the NYSDOT and what about the registration process in NJ ?

Yes. Most likely NJ would be something similar. Possibly, between NY and NJ there could be an agreement that a license in one state suffices for the other state. But generally, I am sure you would have to have authorization in each state. Probably best to get an attorney to help you out on all the paperwork and research if you have the budget for it. You would have to form a company, registered it, contracts, etc.

Hello: If you would like to continue discussion on your question, please let me know. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love you to give me a 5 star rating. If you want to continue, please let me know how I can further assist you. Best regards.