Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
18215332

I LIVE IN FLORIDA. I PAID FOR A USED CAR PREPURCHASE

Customer Question

I LIVE IN FLORIDA. I PAID FOR A USED CAR PREPURCHASE INSPECTION BY
A RENOWNED AUTO SERVICE LAST AUGUST. I PURCHASED THE CAR
BASED ON THEIR REPORT. HOWEVER, IT IS EVIDENT THAT THEY DID NOT
LOOKED AT THE UNDERBODY OF THE CAR. A WEEK LATER IT WAS DISCOVERED
THE FRONT AND REAR BRAKES ARE GROSSLY RUSTED AND THE VEHICLE
IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE. I WOULD OF NOT PURCHASED THE CAR IF I
KNEW THE POOR CONDITION OF THE BRAKES. DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE
AGAINST THE AUTO SERVICE.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

Yes, but your recourse against the auto inspection service may be limited by the contract, to a refund of the amount paid. At best, ***** ***** sue them in small claims court for the cost of new brakes. You should obtain repair estimates and present them as soon as possible.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can you provide insight to my options in my state of florida?

I am not sure what you mean by "insight". Your situation is covered by basic contract law, which is pretty much universal throughout the states. To go into the Florida case law database requires an investment of time and money ( for database access), which would not nearly be covered by the amount you are offering to pay for this service. Fortunately you should not need to spend a great deal of money for legal services. It would appear that the loss you have sustained would be measured by a few hundred dollars, rather than thousands. Therefore, any claim that you wish to bring can be brought in small claims court without attorneys.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.