Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I am an Architect. I phone interviewed for a position in a

Customer Question

Hello, I am an Architect. I phone interviewed for a position in a satellite office in my state with a design build firm in another state. The pre hire discussions eluded several things that weren't necessarily lies but very vague and leading. Based on the information I took the position. I was quickly sent an agreement to sign. At that point I had several weeks prior to submitting my two week notice at past firm. I inquired about the pre-hire paperwork prior to submitting two week notice and was told by head of HR,"I haven't done that yet, I am dragging my feet". I received the pre-hire paperwork from new company after I had given my two week notice. Which I feel was intentional. There are many, many things that were not expressed clearly in verbal discussions and after giving two week notice I was in a position that wouldn't allow me to not begin work for this company. I feel I was lured, baited, smoke clouded etc. my terms for that practice. I am wondering if that tactic is allowed by the department of labor or am I simply left without a recourse for a really bad decision?
Thank You for your time.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, employment in Arkansas is at will, meaning unless they put all of these promises to you in a written contractual agreement, legally representations about employment that are vague can be grounds for suit for a suit against them for "detrimental reliance." Detrimental reliance is where someone makes misleading representations and you make a decision based on those misleading representations and suffer harm. So, if their false representations induced you to quit your job and now you are finding that their representations are false, you could seek to sue them for the damages their false representations caused you to suffer.